[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Question about food.

Question about food.

Description here!

Question about food.

Postby HomeSkillet » Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:11 am

I hike regularly in SoCal, and most of the hikes are mild enough that water, beef sticks, and a lunch-sized bag of chips are all I need to get me through the hike, assuming I have breakfast before hitting the trail. BUT, as I train for longer, more extreme hikes, I wonder a bit what I should bring. To make a long story short, I hate Power Bars. My toenails are more appetizing. What other compact, not-too-sloppy food items would anyone suggest as enough to get me through a long dayhike (say, buttcrack of dawn to dusk)? I know beef sticks are supposedly hard to digest, but I haven't had any problems with them in the past...then again, I've never hiked above 10,000 feet.

Any suggestions are, of course, appreciated. Thanks!

-Scott
HomeSkillet

Postby DayHiker » Thu Apr 18, 2002 1:01 am

There are many good tasting sport bars on the market including Balance, Clif Bar, Promax, Pure Protein. Also, hard candy is not a bad substitute for instant energy on the trail. And somelong distance hikers/runners use sport drinks and gels. Experiment until you find ones that agree with you.
DayHiker

Postby LADayHiker » Fri Aug 09, 2002 10:44 pm

Trader Joe's Peanut Butter Filled Pretzels! Forces you to drink extra water!
LADayHiker

Postby scouter » Tue Jan 14, 2003 9:09 pm

try gatorade bars. Yes gatorage makes bars and they actually taste good. Everybody I know that have tried then likes 'em.
scouter

Postby Darin » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:32 am

Try "Detour" bars... they are a high energy/high protein bar that tastes similar to a Snickers bar. You can buy them at Wal-Mart for $1.25 each. I haven't grown tired of them yet.
Darin

Postby NCHiker » Sun Nov 14, 2004 3:31 am

I like Cliff Barsbetter than most. The have less processed crap and tast much better than power bars.

I also carry a couple cliff shots (gels) just in case I really get down. I have never used them hiking,but I use them regularly on the bike (12 and 24 raceing). They give a nice bost, but beware, it is short lived (about 30 mins). Gets you going agian though when you start to slow down.

scoTt
NCHiker

Return to Hiking Tips