Seeking Logistics info for Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim dayhike.

Description here!

Seeking Logistics info for Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim dayhike.

Postby PeterG » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:04 pm

Hi,

I am planning a GC Rim to Rim in early October. Initally we were thinking of just going down the south rim and back up the same. But after more research we would really prefer to hike from one rim to the other if we can arrange the logistics. We are experienced hikers in good condition and we have been doing 3000-6000 ft of elevation gain on rocky terrain every weekend for months (with overweighted pack). I have backpacked to the river previously but that was from Hermits Rest, down to camp at Granite Rapids (beautiful white sand beach).

After this hike the direction is north into Utah, so ideally I am thinking I would like the car waiting on the North rim and do something like this:

Arrive near north rim, grab hotel, next morning catch shuttle south while leaving car within access of trailhead. This is the big question mark as I have no knowledge of north rim. Is there trailhead parking with shuttle access. Details please.

Arrive on South Rim via shuttle. Do some site seeing at rim, local shuttle to a rim hotel, early to sleep, early rise and taxi to South Kaibab Trail, hike across and out to our car.

Any thought/details north/south would be helpfull.

Thanks,

Peter (in Ottawa Canada)
PeterG

Return to Hiking Tips