[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Limmer Boots Worth It?

Limmer Boots Worth It?

Description here!

Limmer Boots Worth It?

Postby yankees1 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:28 am

For day hiking such as hiking the Grand Canyon trails, are Limmer boots overkill?
yankees1

Postby ?theman » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:13 am

what kind of hiking are you planning to do? backpacking, rim to rim? which limmer model are you considering. based on what you plan to do, it looks like they have a model that will fit your needs.
?theman

Postby yankees1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:23 am

Hike down the South rim , stay at Phantom Ranch and hike back out the next day to the South rim. I hiked it several years ago and hiked both ways the same day and won't do that again!
yankees1

Postby DayHiker » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:11 pm

This is a recurring question for the hiker ... what kind of shoes to wear? Limmer boots? Probably not - key rejecting word: boot. For a day hike, why wear a boot on a trail? I have hiked every trail described on this site (including Grand Canyon rim to rim) with trail running shoes and usually with trekking poles.

For more info see Shoes under Hiking Tips, this site.
DayHiker

Postby yankees1 » Fri Dec 02, 2005 7:22 pm

When I last went down the South side there were quite a few rocks to manuever around on the trail. I thought that my wife might want a higher cut boot for ankle protection. What light weight shoe or boot would provide some ankle protection for this walk?
yankees1

Postby yankees1 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:13 am

I just bought a pair of Salomon Canyon shoes for my wife to hike down(and hopefully up) the Grand canyon next fall! This pair seems to be a good compromise between a shoe and boot.
yankees1

Postby ?theman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 2:31 am

I was going to suggest the salomon expert mid height trail running shoe (great close out deal at the moment). I've got a pair and they seem address the concern of weight and ankle protection (in terms of rocks and things scraping your ankle) vrs. ankle support. I'm pretty happy with them but then I pretty muched hike the in trail runners, both low and mid tops and have only used "boots" for mountaineering. Looks like the model you've purchased will suit you fine. It's amazing how free hiking feels when you reduce the weight off of your feet. Get some poles, they help more than you'll realize.
?theman

Return to Hiking Tips