[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Gortex

Gortex

Description here!

Gortex

Postby alberta bill » Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:32 pm

I i the only one that has found that gortex does not work. I find that sure it does keep the rain out but it does not breath. I dont consider my self to be a heavy sweater and i am in good shape but still i get wet soaking wet when i wear gortex. I have had my share of diferent garments that use gortex and this has been the case with all. I have found that it does not matter if i am working hard or sitting at rest i still end up with condensation. Just my thougths curious if i am the only one
alberta bill

Postby DayHiker » Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:06 pm

I agree, if you are sweating, gortex will not breathe enough. I have found gortex is a great wind/rain breaker for top shell and pants in freezing weather. The key is to wear them only when needed. A small umbrella works often during rain.
DayHiker

Postby Rusty Dog » Tue Aug 12, 2003 9:35 pm

This is some stuff that has been out for a couple of years, I have heard a lot of good things about it.
Rusty Dog

Postby isitright » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:46 am

You didn't give enough information with regard to the conditions (i.e., season, climate)underwhich you use the goretex garments. An interesting editorial on the use of breathable waterproof garments
isitright

Postby Hi tech dummy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:42 pm

Alberta Bill,The gortex is a bad product. It holds oders and whatever you are around will hold it until it is washed. High price for a sweat crap product.
Hi tech dummy

Postby kingkong » Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:38 pm

It does not keep you dry at all. Read here:
kingkong

Postby chingerty » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:58 pm

Having walked 800 km across Spain with one htird of the time in the rain my wife and i found that we were drenched on the inside of our Goretex paclite jackets while wearning them in the rain.
We have put in a complaint to Gore tex who at present are testing the garments.
the advertising is very misleading in claiming to keep you dry.
chingerty

Gortex

Postby Rick M » Fri Feb 22, 2008 6:23 pm

My first experience with Gortex was in 1977 when I bought 3 yards to design/sew my own parka (these were the days of Frostline kits and I still had the parka pattern). I did this because I wanted to make it very big, loose fitting, billowy, and long enough so rain didn't go in my pants and I could pull my fists into the sleves while walking. Stylish it was not. Practicle? Close to it especially compared to the commercial options. The parka pockets could be accessed from below my pack's waist belt I eventually made a wide brimmed floppy Gortex hat instead of using the hood unless really windy & cold. Reason was better ventilation which meant less condensation and I hated water running into my face from the hood. And it is so much nicer under a "WIDE" brimmed hat instead of a hood...almost like wearing an unbrella.

Gortex stopped selling its fabric by the yard because some people supposedly were making junk clothing and blaming wetness on the fabric plus not being able to use the (at that time) seam sealers that commercial makers had access to.

In the eighties/nineties I worked part time for REI and told the Gortex rep what I thought of their product and the hipe he was telling the employees that were without experience and swallowing his promo hook line and sinker. He didn't appreciate my comments and offered to send me a parka with the new Gortex that wouldn't condense. Sure enough, it arrived. Armpit vents, back vent, and barely reached my waste. I thought about how this would keep me dry in a blowing rain and so on a windy day we got out the garden hose and had at it. For the $200 retail price, I'll wear my homemade parka anyday if there was a chance of rain. For styling around town, the free demo jacket fit the bill...
Rick M

Gortex

Postby Day Hiker » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Seems to be a consensus on this forum about the disadvantages of Gortex being used for upper body clothing during heavy hiking exertion. I agree. Gortex may "breathe" but not much and still be waterproof. There is no way, under aerobic exercise (i.e. sweating) Gortex can vent the moisture.

A Gortex shell, from my experience, is very good as a wind breaker at freezing weather as long as you are not perspiring much.

DayHiker

Day Hiker

Return to Hiking Tips