[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Telescope Peak

Telescope Peak

Telescope Peak

Postby Ron Hudson » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:23 am

I didn't notice Telescope Peak from Death Valley mentioned in the favorites. For those I've done, I consider it a grand classic, as R2R2R and Cactus to Clouds. 20 miles and 11,000+ ft gain. I have done it 3 times and may do it again this spring. See my article at
Others' accounts (uder telescope) also are at:
-- Ron Hudson --
Ron Hudson

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:41 pm

I have to agree Ron. That is truly a classic.
I have a website that lists other strenuous one day hikes and I recommend visiting the LINKS like Summitpost etc.
Another good one is White Mtn from the bottom
Cy Kaicener

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:38 pm

Another good website for Telescope the hard way and other reports is
Cy Kaicener

Postby Cy Kaicener » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:47 pm

The correst url is
Cy Kaicener

Postby BoulderDave » Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:42 am

The best part about Telescope Peak is the airshow that the F-16s put on from the neighboring Air Force bases near Death Valley. If you are lucky, they will start dog fighting while you are on top of the peak.

Here's a great link from my site:

And here's a Nice Death Valley gallery form my trip:

Best,

Dave
dschwartz@americanhiker.com
BoulderDave

Postby cahikes » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:00 am

boulder dave, i don't think the area in the far background is owens valley. it maybe the high valley between the argus range and the cosos range that is on the china lake weapons center. i don't think you can see owens valley from telescope peak.
cahikes

Postby BoulderDave » Sat May 07, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks for reminding me to fix that caption!

It is actually the salt flats you can see from that angle. I appreciate it!

Best,

Dave
BoulderDave

Telescope Peak

Postby Rick M » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:56 pm

WOW Ron, at least three times. I can't imagine doing it again.

I tried it from Bad Water on the east side of the valley floor in 84-85 but got mired down in "mud" out on the salt flats trying to get to the lowest point. Aborted the attempt (I was carrying full pack anticipating camping out at Mahogany Flats awaiting pick-up).

I came back a couple of weeks later (I was a seasonal park ranger stationed at Furnace Creek) and parked up in Hanaupah Canyon. About 9am I walked down the road and onto the valley floor. I had fashioned some "mud shoes" out of plywood but they were more trouble than their worth as they wanted to stick to the mud. Reached the lowest point on the vas best as I could triangulate, turned around and retraced my steps back up to the car in Hanaupah. Got a few winks and then set off up Hanaupah with topo in hand for Telescope Peak.

As I recall, I reached the summit around noon Sunday and got back to the car in Hanaupah after dark. 23,000'+ and however many miles and thought I'm never doing that hike again. My boss did ask me to carry a park service radio with me in case of trouble...this in my solo hiking days.
Rick M

Return to Favorite Hikes