[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Kalalau Trail

Kalalau Trail

Kalalau Trail

Postby Linda » Mon May 09, 2005 2:29 am

I'm planning to be in Kauai at end of June. What are the chances of being able to hike the Kalalau Trail, and do you know any thing about how to get on the wait list? ANY tips appreciated!! Thanks
Linda

Postby I think you know » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:50 am

I did this back in 2001
There was no waiting lit for us, we just did it
it's not the most physically challanging hike I've ever done, but wear something with really really good traction, maybe even cleats, that red mud is killer. Don't wear anything you want to wear again for anything but hiking as well
I think you know

Postby Ken » Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:33 pm

Did you do the day hike to Kalalau valley?Any problem in getting the day hike permit?I plan to do it on July 23rd.Any advice on shoes,drinking water,Stream crossings etc., will be appreciated.
Ken

Postby brunopatrick » Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:57 pm

Permits can be aquired weekdays at the state office building in Lihue. Permits are required even for a day hike beyond the beach at Hanakapiai. The park is a sensitive area that is often over used by illegal hikers and campers. I have only hiked to the end of the trail once (on a permitted day hike). The views were incredible, but the smell of human excrement and the sight of tolet paper in the bushes was a real bummer. Please "Malama i ka aina" (care for the land)
brunopatrick

Postby AWH » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:38 pm

Update:

Just did Kalalau Trail as a day hike yesterday.

The permitting process has a new wrinkle: in order to go past Hanakoa you now need a camping permit ($10). The day hike permit gets you past Hanakapi'ai, but no further than Hanakoa. Being the beginning of November, I had no problem getting a walk-up permit at the State Parks office in Likue, but note that they close at 3:30 pm (I got there at 3:15!!).

The trail is quite muddy near the beginning and can be quite rock-strewn in places. And hilly, and narrow, and overgrown, and...

But the views are incredible, which makes it all worthwhile.

I started at 6:15 am with a headlamp, taking 4.5 hours to Kalalau Beach. The return took 4 hours. Some route-finding is required near stream crossings and a few other places, but most of the challenge comes from the conditions, exposure, and hills. Oh yeah, did I mention that its hot and humid? You'll need plenty to drink.

Rain is your big enemy, as this trail can go from passably muddy to impossibly slippery. And it can rain any day, any time. I've never been a big fan of trekking poles, but they are now on my shopping list.

I thought this hike was harder than my GC rim-to-rim I did a month ago.

--Andy
AWH

Return to Favorite Hikes