[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - Need Advice Training 4 Gr. Cany. Rim 2 Rim

Need Advice Training 4 Gr. Cany. Rim 2 Rim

Need Advice Training 4 Gr. Cany. Rim 2 Rim

Postby Bill D » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:44 am

I've set a goal for myself to do the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim in a day next year or the year after.

I would appreciate training advice. Especially related to altitude since I live in central NC at about 500'. I can get to the mountains occasionally to hike at 5,000 to 6,000 feet.

I'm 50 years old; usually carry about 60 lbs. when backpacking; weight 140 lbs; blood pressure 90/60. I realize that even though I am in pretty good shape that I will need to take things up a couple of levels to do this day hike.

All advice would be appreciated!

Bill D
Bill D

You're fine

Postby gawyn_98 » Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi Bill. I did the R2R in 11 hours last June - 2 days after summiting half-dome in yosemite. I will say the R2R was the toughest hike I ever did. I'm from Florida so the heat was a piece of cake, but lack of elevation in FL made the climb up the north rim brutal.

My advice - training is less important as preparation during the hike. I'm 37 and was not in very good shape (ran 3 miles 3x per week for a couple of months leading up to the hike). But I made sure to eat, drink, and protect myself from the heat (soaked my clothes, etc). Do that and you'll be fine.
gawyn_98

Return to Favorite Hikes