[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - spring break hike?

spring break hike?

spring break hike?

Postby bigbeef2604 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:32 am

I'm trying to plan a very difficult hike with my brother for spring break. I was thinking of doing another 14'er in Colorado, but I'm thinking it will be too early in the year for those without running a huge risk for bad weather. Am I wrong?
The time I'm planning on going on a trip would be early April. I'll have 7 days for the trip.
I'll be driving from Chicago, so if you have any ideas on where I could go please let me know. I'm willing to drive far to get to something with great views and very difficult. Also, this must be a day hike, not backpacking.
We're both in very good shape. Please let me know of any ideas.
Thanks,
Ryan
bigbeef2604

Postby Van-Go » Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:02 pm

I'm in NC but have hiked quite a bit all over. I'd think a 14er in April would be tough going b/c of lingering snow and ever present bad weather in spring - though honestly I've only hiked the rockies in summer and fall. But, for argument sake maybe some of these but while mileage may be doable the ascent/descent needs to be factored in:

RMNP:

Flattop Mtn. Loop = 16.5 miles

Odessa Lake/Longs = 23 miles

Indian Peaks Wilderness, CO:

Arapaho Pass = 19 miles

Sangre de Christo's, CO:

Phantom Terrace loop (I'd have to look up route and mileage - did it in 2002 - nice and more southernly)

Yellowstone:

Bechler River = 28 miles

GTNP:

Paintbrush loop = 17.7 miles

Wind River Range, WY:

Cirque of Towers loop = 20.4

Maroon Bells, CO:

Maroon Bells Loop = about 22 (using cut-off trail)

You could head east and do:

White Mountains, NH:

Presidential Traverse= 25.8

Mt. Katahdin, ME:

Mt. Katahdin = depends on where you start for mileage

I've done some of these, done some as overnighters, want to do other of them.

If any are appealing I can give you some more info. All have great views, are on trails (some easy bushwaking in Cirque), are at altitude, you can hit some weather.

Good luck...
Van-Go

Postby bigbeef2604 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:56 pm

wow great post! Thanks a lot for all of the suggestions. I'll have to look into a few of those.
bigbeef2604

Postby Van-Go » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:13 am

bigbeef:

Glad to be of some help. If you need any help on information for those let me know. I've got a book which describes some of them, I have some trip reports, some photos, and some research I did when I went...

You know, at that time of the year you're approaching the dry season for some slot canyon hikes in UT and AZ. For dayhikes they're really awesome. Not big on the "vista" sort of view but big on views nonetheless. Perhaps (actually, all of these are relatively close to one another):

Zion NP:

Zion Narrows: about 18 miles

Bryce NP:
Under the Rim Trail= 23 miles

[b]Bull Valley Gorge (or Willis Creek - I'll have to look it up if interested) northwest of Page, AZ = I'm guessing about 20 miles)

Paria Canyon, UT/AZ:

Wire Pass/Buckskin Gulch/noth in Paria to White House = about 21 miles

Paria is my favorite. I did some dayhiking there but wanted to do the full canyon so I did Wire Pass / Buckskin / Paria to Lee's Ferry (43 miles). This version is half that and not quite as hard. Here are some photos of that hike (assuming the link works they're of Wire Pass / Buckskin and where I turned S. into AZ at the Confluence a dayhike would send you N. to White House and the Rangers station - car shuttle required and I can give you a name for that too.)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/551225857UFdzmY
Van-Go

Postby Van-Go » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:20 am

bigbeef:

Glad to be of some help. If you need any help on information for those let me know. I've got a book which describes some of them, I have some trip reports, some photos, and some research I did when I went...

You know, at that time of the year you're approaching the dry season for some slot canyon hikes in UT and AZ. For dayhikes they're really awesome. Not big on the "vista" sort of view but big on views nonetheless. Perhaps (actually, all of these are relatively close to one another):

Zion NP:

Zion Narrows: about 18 miles

Bryce NP:
Under the Rim Trail= 23 miles

[b]Bull Valley Gorge (or Willis Creek - I'll have to look it up if interested) northwest of Page, AZ = I'm guessing about 20 miles)

Paria Canyon, UT/AZ:

Wire Pass/Buckskin Gulch/noth in Paria to White House = about 21 miles

Paria is my favorite. I did some dayhiking there but wanted to do the full canyon so I did Wire Pass / Buckskin / Paria to Lee's Ferry (43 miles). This version is half that and not quite as hard. Here are some photos of that hike (assuming the link works they're of Wire Pass / Buckskin and where I turned S. into AZ at the Confluence a dayhike would send you N. to White House and the Rangers station - car shuttle required and I can give you a name for that too.)

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/551225857UFdzmY
Van-Go

Postby Van-Go » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 am

Sorry for the repeated post - not sure how that happened....
Van-Go

Return to Favorite Hikes