[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
DayHiker.com • View topic - What's on my way?!

What's on my way?!

What's on my way?!

Postby bigbeef2604 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 11:42 am

Hey guys,
If I'm going from Chicago to Longs peak in colorado, what're some other extreme day hikes that wouldn't be too far out of the way? I'm going to have a week so I want to get at least 1 other extreme hike in.
Thanks in advance.
bigbeef2604

Postby Van-Go » Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Hey Bigbeef:

I was just in Chicago last weekend. Really enjoyed my brief visit there.

Well, there isn't a lot "on the way" if you're coming straight in from Chicago. But, before I go there let me say this:

If you're going to try Longs - coming in from Chicago - I'd do a dayhike at a lower elevation before doing all of Longs in a day. When I did longs I camped in Goblin's Forrest (acclimitized / got me a headstart, and I had to sleep somewhere)(I'm assuming you'll hike up from Longs Ranger Station though you can go up from Glacier Gorge) and hiked up/down from there. I made two attempts:

1st: Left at 9am and ran into sleet/lighting in the Boulder Field. Had to go back down.

2nd: Left at 4am and turned around just short of the summit b/c of a complete logjam of people on the final push up.

The reason I suggest the "other" day hike first - is to acclimitize. I saw countless people being rushed down with help to overcome AMS. You may want to do a couple hikes within the park at lower elevations on your first hike and then tackle Longs.

Some suggestions:

RMNP:

Flattop Mtn. Loop = 16.5 miles on the western side of the park. I've never done it but probably will next summer. I hear it is great. Go counter-clockwise.

Odessa Lake = 18.5 miles (apprx) parking at Glacier Basin Shuttle/Parking area and going counter clockwise past Cub Lake, Fern Lake and Bear Lake and back to the trailhead.

Indian Peaks Wilderness, CO:

Arapaho Pass = 19 miles. S. of RMNP but not by far.

When you do Longs, if I may, consider this:

- do an Alpine Start. 4am but no later than 6am. That will keep you off the tops if any storms come in. Plus, you may beat the rush. If you go in the dark bring a headlamp. You can get lost in the Boulder Field. When I made my second push a guy who had gone up at 2am sans headlamp lost the trail, fell and broke his leg, had to be choppered out.

- it could get crowded. It is popular and the Keyhole route can get crazy.

- Know the symptoms of altitude sickness (AMS). Mine are a good headache and loss of appetite. Get it every time. Eat and drink whether you want to or not. If you feel bad listen to your body and come down.

- layer clothing including wind/rain gear. Weather changes quick up there and it can snow in July.

- bring high energy foods (you know that I guess) and the last water that is reliable is just below treeline. My memory is you'll cross a bridge over a cascade....

- bring sunscreen and a hat - UVA is much higher there than in Chicago. I got my scalp burned on Mt. Evans, CO. Ouch! (Evans isn't far away and just off I-70 west of Denver btw)

- the route is busy like I said. It is easy but you can lose it in the Boulder Field (last camp site beneath the Keyhole). If you have time consider going to Chasm Lake (when the trail goes right you can go straight). Once you cross over Keyhole there are bright Green/Red "targets" on rocks. YOu can't miss 'em. The climb past the rock shelter at the Keyhole will find you looking down the other side and re-thinking the final push. Just make a go of it - look intimidating but it really isn't that bad once you get into it. My fear is people above me kicking a rock down on me or falling themselves and taking some of us down along the way.

That's all I can think of - btw, did you see my last post in your previous thread? Some good ideas in AZ/UT slots and some cool pictures of it. All my Longs pictures are on 35mm and not scanned - sorry...

Good luck. Let me know if I can help with anything else....
Van-Go

Postby bigbeef2604 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:47 pm

wow great information - thanks! I'll keep all of that in mind when I go. I hiked Pikes Peak last summer without any problems from altitude (14,110') so I don't think I should have too much of a problem, but that's all helpful information. My brother will be going with me as well so who knows if he'll have altitude sickness.

Have you done the Grand Canyon rim to rim hike? I will also be planning a trip this spring and it looks like that's the best place to go in early april when I dont want to run into snow. What do you think?
bigbeef2604

Postby Van-Go » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Hey big:

Actually, after I responded to your post I noticed somewhere on here you mentioned having hiked Pikes. In other words, you certainly didn't need me to tell you all of that.

I did the rim-to-rim in 2005 but had my older brother and step-father with me and so we camped along the way. We did a little side canyon exploring along the way as well especially along the river. We were out there hiking in Zion also. Anyhow, the GC is a GREAT hike to do and a good one to knock off the list. If you can dayhike it then that is great b/c scoring a permit to camp at Phantom Ranch and Cottonwood (as we did) is very difficult. That is to say, the odds are stacked against you. But it is very doable thus it being on this site. I drove a guy to the trailhead the day we caught our shuttle who was running accross. He had run it the day before from S to N and was going back. Really something.

You may run into some snow. Below are some pictures of my hike in April. There was a good foot of snow on the N rim. But you can see in the one photo it was 112 at O'Neil Butte and I'm guess it was about 115 at Phantom.

I'd say the S. rim is shorter in distance but much more steep. Not a bit of water and shade is very limited. The N. rim is more gradual with water along the way for parts of it (go see Ribbon Falls - it's a must). I did Kaibab the whole way b/c of better photography possibilities.

If you have any specific questions let me know. 'Big' - if you get the chance go east a bit to near Page, AZ (Hwy 89 between Kanab and Page) and hike a slot out there. You won't regret it - I'll include some photo's of my hike there. We did the big one Paria (longest slot in the world supposedly) in 3 days b/c it was 42 miles but we did 22 on the last day including a side hike. The photo's speak for themselves. I can give you some info. on that too and can fashion some dayhike routes for you.

The Grand Canyon:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/356275689TBtMwh

Wire Pass/ Buckskin / Paria slots:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/551225857UFdzmY

A couple other slots mixed in here:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/551222337UgOTnK

I mentioned the slots in another post on this forum which was:

http://www.dayhiker.com/forum/viewtopic ... 634f0d5c70

Just let me know and I can give you a ton of info. Oh, if you need a Grand Canyon shuttle go with TransCanyon Shuttle - not cheap but great to work with....
Van-Go

Postby bigbeef2604 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:51 am

wow great information and pictures! I actually do have a few questions for you if you dont mind.. It's looking like my father is going to join us on our hiking of the GC. We were thinking we'd start on a few shorter hikes (say 10-15 miles) for the first day to see if we're up for the Rim-to-Rim. My father has knee or hip aches that are on and off so he wants to make sure the hiking doesn't bother him too much first. Do you have any reccomendations for trails we could try first?

Also, I'm trying to get the logistics of our trip down. I'm flying in from Chicago so I have to check if it's cheaper to fly to Vegas and rent a car to get there, fly to Flagstaff, etc. That'll just be researching, I guess, but where near the grand canyon should be shack up in a motel? Is there a small down around there that you'd reccommend? I'm going to do some more research this week on all of this, but if you can offer me a starting point I'd greatly appreciate it.

Awesome pictures btw! I spent a long time looking through them.
bigbeef2604

Van Go GC Photos

Postby cahikes » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:40 am

Good pics. I don't know if anyone has already responded to photo 24 or 40. The plant in the photo is Datura, common name of Jimson weed. The plant is reportely used by some native american groups for it's hallucinogenic properties. Its one of the native plants that Carlos Castenda makes references to in his books. The plant however is very toxic and there are few deaths reported every few years related to people trying to use the plant for that purpose.
cahikes

Postby Van-Go » Wed Oct 24, 2007 12:53 pm

cahikes:

Hey, thanks for the input on that flower. Those pictures are from 2005 and someone advised me of it's name, etc. from backpacker.com website back then. But, I really appreciate your comments. Some of that I didn't know.

bigbeef:

Any of the trails descending from the S. rim are nice and close to amenities. Any of these:

http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/day-hiking.htm

The common routes across the canyon are Bright Angel or S. kaibab coming down the S. rim. I liked Kaibab. So, you could do that as your rim-to-rim and warm up with a hike down Bright Angel, taking the side trail out to the dead end of Plateau Point and then back up.

I have flown into Vegas to twice (hiking Zion, Bryce, Grand Canyon, and the slots in those photos). I found it cheaper to fly into there, rent a car, and drive. But, I was going to several destinations. You can check Flagstaff - may want to see if they have a shuttle to the GC. The GC also has an airport which you may want to check on. I think it is a commuter flight out of Vegas which services it.

When i went to cross hike the GC I had just finished a hike in Zion so we drove as far as Kanab, UT, stayed in a hotel there and the next morning got up early to drive to the North Rim. Once there we parked our car at the TH on N. Kaibab, caught the shuttle that took us to the S. rim and basically hiked back to our car.

There is a lot of lodging along the S. rim but you'd better book now for those. The N. rim is much more sparse. The only ones I know about on the N. rim are the Lodge (heard mixed things about this and it was about full when i was planning anyhow) and a place in Jacobs Lake (mixed things about this joint too). This is why we stayed in Kanab, UT. Decent sized town with national chain hotels (which I prefer).

I do all of my searching via TripAdvisor b/c I trust the opinions of avg. folks like me who have stayed there.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/

The Kanab Hotel I stayed in was:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review ... _Utah.html

Here is a list of hotels on the S. Rim (can't help you with these - the first time I went to the GC I stayed in Flagstaff - Hampton Inn and the second - the time for this hike I got off the shuttle, caught the bus to the trailhead, and I was gone....)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g1430 ... otels.html

If you get a car you can explore some of the other areas which have great day hikes too - especially Zion and Bryce.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

I did want to ask you which way you were planning to travel on your rim-to-rim. N. to S. or vice-versa.
Van-Go

Postby bigbeef2604 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:43 pm

bigbeef2604

North Rim Access

Postby cahikes » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

cahikes

Re: What's on my way?!

Postby ontario23 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:26 am

Thanks for sharing the info VAN
ontario23

Re: What's on my way?!

Postby Sam13 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:10 pm

hi guys....
Thank you for your information, i try to hike at Chicago too....
Thanks and cheers...

Return to Favorite Hikes