Grand Canyon

Grand Canyon

Postby blvd81 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:41 pm

Just got back from Grand Canyon. Rim2Rim was great. It was harder than I thought it would be just looking at the distance and elevation - probably due to the heat and different climate.

I also did 2 other hikes I thought were worth mentioning in the area.

To warm up for the Rim2Rim, we hiked the Widforss Trail on the North Rim. I wouldn't quite call it extreme. It's 14 miles RT from the lodge but there's not much elevation change. But the views are great and you can really escape the crowds - it's ideal for a warmup or cool-down hike with Rim2Rim.

Also went to the Havasupai Indian Reservation. It's not quite a dayhike, but you can hike down into the town on the Reservation (8 miles) and stay in the lodge. From the lodge you can hike down the Havasu Creek Canyon all the way to the Colorado (18 miles RT). I would definitely consider this an extreme dayhike because of the navigational difficulties, rough trail, scrambling sections, and stream crossings. This is also the most beautiful stream and waterfalls I've ever seen. When you get back to Supai (town in Res) you can grab a meal at the cafe and spend another night in the lodge. Highly recommend it.
blvd81

Grand Canyon Hiking - Rim to Rim and Havasupai Indian Res

Postby Day Hiker » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:14 pm

Nice summary of Grand Canyon hiking, especially like the Havasupai Indian Reservation destination and canyon hike.
Day Hiker

Grand Canyon rim-to-rim

Postby TonyT » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:57 am

Hi (from England)

Just came across this site. At last - some help and guidance from people who think doing the GC rim-to-rim at one go is perfectly feasible! I'm just starting to plan a trip for next year (my first visit to the Canyon), and a one-day rim-to-rim is definitely on my agenda. I'll be back nearer the time for more tips and advice.

One question for now. DayHiker, you talk about doing this late in the season. What do you think about early season - say May, soon after the North Rim opens? I'm thinking of doing N to S as my one-day R2R, having walked - sorry, hiked - from the S rim over 2 days and maybe rested up for a day.

Oh, and btw, I am an experienced hiker!
TonyT

Grand Canyon rim-to-rim

Postby Day Hiker » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:45 am

Tony,
May sounds good for a Grand Canyon Rim to Rim traverse. It might be warmer than mid October, but there is more daylight so an early start is possible and warranted. And, I like the idea of taking two days South to North, staying at Lodge, then returning North to South.
Craig (DayHiker)
Day Hiker

Thanks for response

Postby TonyT » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:07 am

Thanks for your reply - and glad you think May would be OK. If my plans look like coming good I'll post a message in case anyone else is around at the time. :)
TonyT

Return to Favorite Hikes