Alta Peak in Sequoia

Alta Peak in Sequoia

Postby arecibo » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Hi Fellow Hikers,

This is my first post here. I will go to Sequoia NP for the July 4th weekend. After doing some research, I really want to try the Alta Peak trail. But I am hesitant because of its difficulty level. It's 14 miles with 4300 feet elevation. The toughest hike I have done before was Grouse Grind in Vancouver (1.8 miles, 2800 feet) and Mount Boney in Santa Monica Mountains (12 miles, 2800 feet).

So have you ever been to the Alta Peak trail? Is it really difficult? Can you share your experience here?

Thanks!
Kenny
arecibo

Re: Alta Peak in Sequoia

Postby Day Hiker » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:53 pm

Great question and I cannot guarantee your success on this long distance day hike, "extreme day hike". I have not done Alta Peak but let me suggest, from my personal experience of hiking and running if you did 12miles, 2800 ft you can do 14milies, 4300ft if you are in shape. For example, my marathon training (not recommended by all training plans) has my longest run at 13 miles and I seem to do it (ok I suffer some) every year. The key thing is hill training - not just one time. I do a local hill here in San Diego - Cowles Mountain - 2-3 times at week all year round. It's only 1000 ft but I feel comfortable doing any of the hikes on this web site - did Grand Canyon Bright Angel trail down and up this Feb, for example. Start before dawn and read the other tips on this site. Good luck and please post your experience!
Day Hiker

Re: Alta Peak in Sequoia

Postby arecibo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:48 pm

Thanks for your reply. My wife and I finally did it. It took us 11 hours. We started around 8:30AM and took 6.5 hours just to get to the summit. The first 4.5 miles were manageable. But we took a slow pace to conserve as much energy as possible coz we knew it's going to be very tough at the end. The last 2.5 miles were very steep. We had to climb 2000 feet in that span. Near the end, my wife had to make a stop almost every hundred steps. But the view is worth every bit of effort. It was a clear day and the great western divide was breathtaking. It's better than any fireworks.
arecibo

Return to Favorite Hikes