Tahoe Area: Mecca For Day Hikers

Tahoe Area: Mecca For Day Hikers

Postby toogee » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:39 am

After 27 years in this area I'm still amazed at the endless possibilities of day hikes in the greater Tahoe area. For the last 9 months I have been livinging Carson City and finding all kind of new trails and dirt road systems to explore. Spent last winter hiking in the Virginia Range beetween Carson City and Virginia City(it was a light snow year and this range very often sits in the snow shadow of the Sierras) Not only are there great hikes, but more often than not at some point of your hike you may have wild mustangs as your companions. Spent most of this summer exploring the Carson range of the Sierras. Yesterday I did a hike from downtown Carson City up 3000+ feet hooking up with the Tahoe Rim Trail and hilking north to Tahoe Meadows and then back to Carson. I was able to hike 50 miles in 13 hours(thank god for cytomax and power bars!). The beauty of hiking here in the Tahoe area is you can pick your poison. This area offers every type of hiker multiple choices, with every level of duration and exertion to choose from. 99.9% of our trails offer world class vistas and a multitude of different landscapes. The best part is that in early summer(depending on snowpack of course) and fall if you can come up during the week even the most popular hikes, like Mt. Tallac, can be relatively uncrowded. Since these times are off season you can find extremely unexpensive accomidations during the weekdays(even weekends aren't as pricey as during peak season in the winter and summer tourist season. Do yourself a favor and check it out!
toogee

Re: Tahoe Area: Mecca For Day Hikers

Postby toogee » Fri May 28, 2010 9:17 pm

May 28th and last night we got 3 inches of snow and every one in town is jonesing for summer weather! Drove by the little league field last Saturday and the kids were shoveling snow off the outfield so they could play their games. Still a lot of snow in the high country but once we get consistent warm days (and nights above freezing) the snow pack (120% of normal this year, and we sure did need it) will melt and make way for a great season of hiking in the High Sierra. The wildflowers should be blooming sometime in mid July this summer. I know I sound like the chamber of commerce, but I love this place and what it has to offer when it comes to outdoor recreation. Business in town has been devastated by the economy, so there are deals to be had when traveling mid week. Weekends tend to get a little crowded once the kids are out of school, so plan accordingly. Looking forward to seeing ya on the trail!
Toog
P.S. If you have any questions about the south shore that I might be able to answer my email address is toognian@gmail.com . Be glad to answer any questions pertaining to good kid hikes too, the Ian part of my email address is my 10 year old son. Him and his 25 year old brother (both true born Tahoe locals) love Lake Tahoe as much as I do (and I grew up on Maui!).
toogee

Postby toogee » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:45 am

Yesterday we took all of our 6,7,8 graders from St. Theresa's school in South Lake Tahoe up Mt. Tallac, and all but two (time constraints) summited! 10 miles round trip and 3,300 foot vertical, it is one of the more strenuous day hikes in the basin, and offers the best view of Lake Tahoe from the summit. All the kids were so proud of their achievement and very supportive of each other. It was a very rewarding experience seeing the faces of future extreme day hikers (my 11 year old son included)!
toogee

Postby Day Hiker » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:32 pm

Also, just did Mt Tallac a couple weeks ago. Great hike and challenging.
Day Hiker

Postby justin_ruch1180 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:15 pm

I have got to try this!
justin_ruch1180

Postby toogee » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:53 am

January 9, 2012 (or is it June 9?). Just hiked to the summits of Freel Peak (10,881) and Job's Sister (10,823) yesterday. Go figure!
toogee

Postby toogee » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 am

Yesterday, 6/23/12, I did Freel Peak (10,881) starting and finishing from my pad (6,230) 3 blocks from the lake. 4,650 foot vertical over the first 13 miles, 30+ miles total, 10 hours 45 minutes. Didn't just do an out and back, but made a big loop going up through High Meadows, and coming out via Armstrong pass/Trout Creek drainage, and then back into town. Was a bit cold on the summit (60-80 mph winds) with what seemed like about a 20 degree wind chill, and wasn't quite dressed for the occasion (shorts, turtleneck, hoodie, and a vest) at the summit. It was though perfect weather for the other 95% of the hike having cool temps and a strong breeze. Saw 3 bucks with with their sprouting fuzzy antlers in High Meadows, and a blond yearling black bear (about 125 lbs) below Armstrong Pass. Looks to me like the wildflowers will be going off some time VERY soon in the high country, seeing quite a bit of Lupine here in town and up into the 7,500 ft range.
toogee

Return to Favorite Hikes