Hiking From Grand Canyon South Loop

Hiking From Grand Canyon South Loop

Postby bdonovan40 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 am

I have plans in Late April to do a day hike from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. I'd like to hike down the South Kaibab trail and return on the Bright angel trail. It sounds like a 17 mile loop. I'm pretty fit. I have reservations for two nights at the Bright Angel Lodge. Anybody out there who's done this?
Thanks. It seems like this should be a good time of year to do it.
bdonovan40

Re: Hiking From Grand Canyon South Loop

Postby Day Hiker » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:47 pm

This is a great hike, a classic extreme day hike. I recommend starting as early as possible so that you are starting back up the Bright Angel trail no later than 10 am. Take a taxi to Yaki Pt, since no cars are allowed and shuttle is too late. And, I assume you are going to Phantom Ranch and getting water before starting back upon the Bright Angel trail. If you are planning to take the Tonto Trail instead, there is no water until Indian Gardens so plan accordingly. And of course the park service says not to do this hike. Late April could be hot but most likely ok. Good luck!
Day Hiker

Re: Hiking From Grand Canyon South Loop

Postby fre » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:57 pm

Me and my wife did this trail at the same time of the year last year (late April). I foolishly put on a 30lb pack to carry extra clothing and gear. I was in pretty good shape at the time and wasn't hurting too bad, except my shoulders from the straps. We took 3.5 hours to get to the beach at the bottom of Bright Angel trail and 4.5 hours to get back up. A squirrel jacked half of my Wife's power bar when she foolishly set it down on a rock for a bit.

We started the hike at 7a.m., but that's because I wanted to eat breakfast in the cafeteria (two egg/sausage sandwiches) which gave me some really good energy for the hike. We were back at the top by 5p.m., but we didn't really stop anywhere for too long (5 minutes max). I would do as suggested by Day Hiker and start ealier so you can enjoy the hike more.

As far as water goes, I bought a 1 gallon camelbak, a 1.5 liter aquafina and another half gallon jug of water (why my pack weighed so much). My wife had a smaller camelbak. With that much water, I could have easily hiked the whole loop without any refills. I would say if you are going to try and not goto Phantom Ranch, a 1 gallon camelbak and a handheld 1.5 liter bottle would be more than enough to make it to Indian Gardens.

For reference I drank the 1.5 liter bottle of Aquafina on the way down and finished off the half gallon just as we hit Indian Gardens. Keep in mind, I also drank a 1.5 liter of water the night before and drank a bunch of water with breakfast too.

Foodwise, I ate 2 big 300+ calorie met rx bars. I tried trailmix the hike before when we did Tonto over instead of the river trail, but it didn't seem to give me nearly the energy.
fre

Return to Favorite Hikes