Rim to Rim in Mid-August

Rim to Rim in Mid-August

Postby paul101 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:20 pm

I just returned from my first rim to rim 2 days ago. Three of us, ages 45, 49 and 52, did the south rim to north rim in 12 hours. It was incredible, amazing, transcendent. There are not enough superlatives to describe this experience. I think all of us thought it was one of the great trips of our life. We have posted a 5 min slideshow of our hike on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbN0GRoiKew

I had done south rim to river to south rim twice before (both times in March), and while those were my previous greatest trips of my life, seeing the south rim after one has traversed the canyon to the north rim is breath taking and mind boggling. Doing rim to rim in mid-August would not have been my first choice, but because of scheduling conflicts it was mid-August or wait to next year. The critical strategy was passing through the hot zone as early in the day as possible. We departed the south rim along the South Kaibab Trail at 5:30 AM and arrived at the river at 8:00 AM. This allowed us to get an early start at ascending the North Kaibab Trail although it was still 103 degrees at Cottonwood at 1:40 PM. I live in Phoenix, and training on Camelback and Squaw Peak, including multiple hikes up both of these peaks when the temp > 100 degrees certainly proved useful. Of course having enough water is also critical. I had my 3 liter camelback reservoir which I refilled with ice water at Phantom Ranch and additional water at Cottonwood.

If you can swing it, splurge for the North Rim Grand Canyon Lodge. It was a real treat at the end of a grueling day.

For those contemplating such a hike, remember to train appropriately and in hot weather if possible. Start the hike real early in the morning, bring plenty of water, and preferably hike with a buddy or group of hikers.
paul101

Re: Rim to Rim in Mid-August

Postby Day Hiker » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:15 pm

Paul, Thanks for an excellent trip report on your Grand Canyon Rim-to-Rim day hike, the hardest way: South to North (1000 ft extra) and during the hotest part of the year. The cautions and warnings cannot be over emphasized - don't do this hike unless you have read and understand the discussions on this site. This is one of the best hikes in the world, very doable but only if understand the risks. Like the seven wonders of the world, this in my opinion, is one of the seven day day hikes of the world.
Craig (aka DayHiker)
Day Hiker

Return to Favorite Hikes