Water as a workout tool

Forum 3 Description.

Water as a workout tool

Postby toogee » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:53 am

I found my own way to turn day hikes into somewhat extreme workouts. My interpretation is to carry a gallon of water in each hand for the duration of the hike. My hikes generally range between 3000 and 4000 feet in elevation gain (no shortage of choices living at Lake Tahoe), with distances from 12 to 30+ miles. My average pace is 3.5 mph and I stop only to pee or have a sip of water. Carrying that much water serves a few purposes. I hike 2 to 3 times a week and this helps to keep my upper body conditioned as well as not ever running out of water (as we all know if I were to get hurt in the back-country water can be a precious commodity). I only carry food on hikes over 25 miles. I'm curious to hear what other people do similar to this.
toogee

Re: Water as a workout tool

Postby Day Hiker » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:03 pm

Here in San Diego occasionally I see some carry a boulder while hiking up a favorite 1000 ft hill (Cowles Mountain). Often I see folks with light weights. Your idea of carrying a containers sounds better than a boulder since there is a handle to grasp. Your amount of weight and distance/elevation are amazing. You must be in great shape. I did Mt Tallac (Tahoe) a few months ago - can't image doing it with two gallons. Hope to see on a trail sometime - especially if I'm out of water - you should be easy to recognize.
Day Hiker

Re: Water as a workout tool

Postby toogee » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:25 am

Just did Tallac this a.m. Summitted in 1 hour and 45 mins. (walking only,no running. After 5 knee sugeries I don't run anywhere), with my water jugs. Total time up and down 3 hours and 15mins. That was starting at the Tallac trailhead across from Baldwin Beach. Perfect day for being outdoors in Tahoe! I love Indian Summers!
toogee

Return to Suggestions